How’s THAT for a Bike Ride name??? Awesome!!! Exactly.
Today is World Cancer Day, so I couldn’t think of a better time to make this announcement. On Saturday, April 3rd, TSURURADIO will be hosting a Super Awesome NO-FRILLS Bike Ride for Breast Cancer!!!
I’ve been wanting to do this ever since my first charity bike ride, the Tour de Cure for diabetes. There is something amazing about a bunch of people getting on their bikes, riding around together, making new friends, exploring new areas & routes, maybe discovering what they can do physically, and all the while raising money & awareness for a great cause.
Now, I’m just one guy so I wanted to keep this extremely simple & super-minimalist. So here’s how this is going to work:
- April 3rd, you show up BEFORE 9AM with your bike, your helmet, and $20.
- You donate $20 and pick out a 10, 25, or 50 mile route map.
- At or just after 9am, we all ride out together!
- Follow your chosen route map, have fun, make friends, enjoy a nice April morning, until you are done. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
- We count the money raised, announce it here, and give it ALL to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure group!
- NO-FRILLS? Yes, no-frills. This is an unsupported, no pomp, no circumstance, NO SPONSORS, no free stuff, no prizes, no cowbells, & therefore no expense (except copying the maps), meaning more (actually ALL) money goes to the charity!
- LOCATION? COLUMBUS, OH!!! Actual start address is in planning. I have a few options for a start place, but I want to make sure it’s a good start place with places to buy drinks at and with convenience stores/gas stations along the way.
NOTE: If you are a Columbus OH route maker and want to help, please email me at TSURURADIO@GMAIL.COM now!
- HELMETS? Yes. You look like a dork? Get over it, we will ALL look like dorks together. This is for cancer, not for your ego. And bring hydration, bring a spare tube, bring a working bike, bring your cell phone in case you need to be picked up. i.e. BE PREPARED! The more prepared you are, the more fun you will have! I promise that!
- HOW BIG WILL THIS BE? I have no idea. If we raise $20 because I’m the only guy out there on April 3rd, or if we suddenly have 1,000 people trying to ride together, it will be a success in my book. Let’s just do this!
- WHAT IF IT RAINS? Wear a rain cape and expect to get wet. As my Mama Tsuru would say, HTFU or “Harden The Fuck Up” (she had quite the sailor mouth). This is for charity, a little rain is NOTHING compare to what our moms, sisters, wives, friends, and even a few guys have to go through.
Excited??? ME TOO!! Stay tuned, okay? More details to come!!!! We have 2 months….. WE CAN DO THIS!!!! WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Cheers & let’s ride,
Aaron (aka Tsuru)