We say goodbye to tsururadio with accompanying mixtape……………….

Photography by Me

Well my friends, the time has come. The break the rules and have some fun. It’s been a nutty 4+ someodd years over here at tsururadio, we’ve gone through a lot of changes, did everything from mixtapes to vinyl rips, contests to out and out giveaways, we always tried to have fun and keep ourselves in check that we are just music bloggerin’, like 4 kabillion other kids out there on the wide world interconnected super highway of love canals.

But as the wise Canadian Nelly Furtado once sang, all good things come to an end.  But, as some other wise human probably said, for every door that closes another opens unless it’s the door to a serial killers basement in which you are probably fucked.

(Ir)regardless… every now and then I find its important to step back and take stock at what the fuck you are doing, then ask yourself, what needs to be cut, what needs to go, and what wants my time & energy.  I’ve been a photographer for the past 20ish years. Sometimes a hobbyist, other times an enthusiast, but always a passionist.  And for the past 6 months or so, I knew it was coming, I could feel it deep down in the cockles of my balls, that it was time to leave this crazy little thing called music bloggerin’ behind.

We’re done.

A thousand reasons.  It could be all the white noise of music bloggerin’.  There are so many out there all blogging the same shit, you certainly don’t need this odd ball doing it too, eh? Twitter definitely didn’t help.  I love twitter, I really do, but when some crappy ass PR email hits your inbox and suddenly a thousand copy/paste tweeted blog posts hit the stream, well, let’s just say my desire to listen to it kind goes down the shitter with my morning poo.  But then again, I don’t do the PR thing. I don’t do the festival thing. I don’t get starry-eyed over the latest hyped band and what is at once my niche is also my downfall. I love music with all my heart, it’s been so critical to so much of what I am, what I do, what I think, but as much fun as I had sharing so many finds over the years, writing about music is just not my passion.

No… at the end of the day, it was my ego that a) kept it going and b) makes me want to shut it down.  You see, many of us bloggerin’ fools would probably call it day right now, it gets pretty chore-like at times, but the one thing that keeps you from pulling the plug and going to, say, write for a friend’s blog or whatever is the ego.  This is MY blog.  I’m famous in my teeny tiny slice of the internet for it.  Yeah, not easy to let that go.  But, here’s the thing for me that seeded in my brain last year.  I blog about music, but it’s not my music, these aren’t my creations.  The words are, sure, and to a smaller degree the mixtapes are a bit, but when my heart lies in takin’ pictures and making my zines (Issue #8 is over to the right & we just released our MICRO), things that are my creations, the little marks I’m leaving on this silly little globe (see, my ego again), the whole music bloggerin’ thing seemed silly for me.

There are people out there who have a genuine passion for writing about music and they are wonderful, even when they drive me bat shit, but as much as I thought I would become that, it just isn’t me.

Shhh… don’t cry because I’ve got good news.  Though tsururadio is dead, tsurufoto still lives!!!

Sure, it’s littered with all my nudie photography, but going forward, it will also be the site for all my mixtapes as well as the usual songs and viddies that inspire me in my little day-to-day.  WOOOT!  You can subscribe here:

And you know what? Maybe you aren’t all about nekkid people & nudiezines? That’s cool (weird, but cool). You can still find me tweeting & facebooking & google+ing all kinds of things musical! AND, of course, there’s still our super secret society of music geeks & freaks (shhh… it’s a secret).  So, you see? You aren’t losing a blog, you are gaining a more focused and happy Tsuru and that’s a good thing.

It wouldn’t be very tsururific to drop a load of big news on ya without an accompanying mixtape, now would it?  Of course not.  Especially since we are the reigning king of the mixtape battles — Not once, not twice, but THRICE bitches!!! What was going to be just our “July Mixtape” became our final mixtape for the site… almost bitter sweet, eh? But, to get the full effect, I recommend just pushing play on the big fat fatty link right below of the full mixtape all mixed up with a few special secret gems and what not.  But, if you are just here for mp3s, you probably aren’t reading this and are already downloading the individual mp3s. It’s cool.

Alright. That’s it!  Last thing I want to say is thank you. Thank you to all the wonderful people I’ve met (online and in real life) and all of you who have left sweet comments here and there via the infinite number of methods the intertubes have given us.  Without you guys, this would’ve been dead ages ago.   I love you guys!  You are all amazing….  I’ll see you at the avenue for hanging out of your choice!

Enough mushy pants! Let’s get on with the music, shall we, as…………………………………

tsururadio proudly presents… I am the passenger

01 Neutral Milk Hotel – Song Against Sex (Vinyl)
02 Portugal. The Man – So American
03 Traveling Wilburys – Tweeter And The Monkey Man
04 Mother Mother – Chasing It Down
05 Mister Heavenly – Your Girl
06 Pulp – Help the Aged
07 Smith Westerns – Smile
08 David Lowery – Marigold
09 Queen – You’re My Best Friends
10 Death Cab For Cutie – You Are a Tourist
11 Okkervil River – It Ends With A Fall (Vinyl)
12 The Format – Inches And Falling
13 Ezra Furman & The Harpoons – Teenage Wasteland
14 Nick Diamonds – Gone Bananas
15 Beirut – Santa Fe
16 Trips and Falls – This is All Going to End Badly
17 The Killers – All These Things I’ve Done
18 They Might Be Giants – Destination Moon
19 The Decemberists – The Perfect Crime #1
20 R.E.M – The Passenger

Zip of individual tracks

That’s it! Thank you everyone, it’s been fun! I’ll see you over at tsurufoto. Until then, go ride your bikes, go take lots of pictures (of your boobies) and we’ll see you all before long…

Aaron aka Tsuru

20 comments for “We say goodbye to tsururadio with accompanying mixtape……………….

1. Matt
    July 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I already left a lengthy post on your Facebook page but, again, thanks for the years of great posting and lots of luck in your future projects.

2. rotch
    July 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

You had a great run! Congrats!

For me, great music and good friends came out of tsururadio. I’ll always be grateful for that.

Se ya in tsurufoto!

3. July 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM

it was a blast for a long time, for sure! See you in the society too… ;)

4. July 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I already miss you.

5. aetenae
    July 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Oh, these little earthquakes.
    See, I’ve been lurking through your blog for a couple of years now (around the time you were about to marry). I have your link on my lj and sometimes I check what you’re posting because you are charming. I never came here to look for “the new hype” because I don’t like the new hype. I like the good stuff. And here I knew first of The Decemberists (because, I repeat, I don’t do the new hype so I had no idea of them until I came here).
    Anyway. What I’m saying is: This was like a monthly visit to a friend to me. I checked old stuff, read your posts, listened the music but I was too shy to post before because I never knew what to say. So I’m posting this. To say thank you and have a great life. Love what you do and do what you love and all that.
    Thank you for the time you took to make each post interesting. For sharing your life and passions with a bunch of strangers that became your family sometimes. Just… thank you.

ae (Sandra)

6. Clif
    July 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Aaron, sad to see tsururadio go, but happy that the zine is tapping into your passion as a photographer. Good luck, and thanks for being a source of inspiration to many of us…

7. Dave 'Paco' Abraham
    July 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for all the work and for going out with a bang. This mixtape is great… and R.E.M.’s Passenger is a solid final thought.

8. Jeff
    July 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Thanks, I have visited here often. There a million blogs and many write about music but you did it far far better than most. You will be missed. I appreciate all your efforts and the music I found here for the first time.

9. July 19, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Thank you so much! All these beautiful songs are inscribed into my soul, and for that…….. thank you.

10. amy
    July 20, 2011 at 1:13 AM

This is very disappointing. Yours is one of my favorite blogs. I wish you good luck and thanks for all the time you put into this site in the past. Take care ;)

11. Tim
    July 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM

You’ll be missed Aaron x

12. July 21, 2011 at 1:19 AM

i’m really hurt, but i understand. that blog was so well written. i feel like i was just dumped, but it was done so seamlessly that it must be appreciated. best of luck with yr future endeavors. i subscribed to tsurufoto as well in hopes that you will still provide a window to new favorite bands that i never would’ve found on my own in this big bad music bloggerin world.

13. Michelle
    July 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Oh me, oh my! Of all the music blogs, yours had taste. It was my weekend break from the drudge of work. I will miss the clever writing and will treasure the ever-perfect mixtapes. Thanks for sharing!

14. July 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM

You’ll be missed dude! Congrats on this blog, it was great!!

15. Erika
    July 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Thank you for so many good reads and quality mixes on this site.
    I’m looking forward to seeing your other projects gain as much success!

Best wishes.

16. Kev
    July 29, 2011 at 3:29 AM

I do not usually post messages, but I felt like some sort of thanks is owed. The way one would thank a stranger for holding a door open. This metaphorical door leading to good music. From one stranger to another,

17. 5
    August 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

dude, thanks for the good reads, mixes and new bands. you are directly responsible for every person i know freaking out over the newest rural alberta album. godspeed and good luck.

18. barry
    August 13, 2011 at 2:34 AM

daym…this was my favorite music blog. Great job with it and best of luck with your other ambitions. Thanks for all your music-picking help over the past two years.

19. Rob
    August 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Sad. This blog has introduced me to so much great new music, which has meant many awesome shows and new friends and etc and so forth. Thanks man for introducing me to so much great music and good luck

20. kara mckeever
    August 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! you are my go to music bible of goodness! but i do wish you well, and much thanks for all the good music and insights. best of luck my friend!