WTF YOU SAYIN… in Japanese?

I’ve always wanted to delve into indie music in other languages on my blog but I never got the chance, or the time to, so I thought it would be a perfectly bi-weekly topic on Paper Cranes. Take it like a little journey to another country for a couple paragraphs.

This week we’ll visit Japan, a culture that some how makes spelling English words wrong culturally acceptable. Like the band Susquatch for example. They’re mainly made out of guitarist and vocalist Kenta Oshikiri and Maki Nakano on drums. Often they have two other members support them during live shows.

They’re all about their aggressive drumming that counteracts with Kenta’s smoother vocals. Ghost is a perfect representation of their sound and comes off their latest album Hear Japan!. As for WTF they’re saying.. I have no clue. I may be Asian but that doesn’t mean I have super powers. Upon consulting an actual Japanese person, I learnt that he isn’t speaking any one language. He sometimes sings in Japanese, sometimes in English but mostly in a made up language that sort of mimics Japanese English. It’s his way of proving that you can speak to people with just music.

I want my own made up language too.

Susquatch- Ghost

On the contrary here’s something else from Tokyo, and in English from a band called Kimonos. Something about this video gives me the creeps.

7 comments for “WTF YOU SAYIN… in Japanese?

1. March 9, 2011 at 5:00 AM

Via @papercranes WTF YOU SAYIN… in Japanese? –… #pcc

2. somevelvetblog
    March 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

RT @papercranes: via @papercranes WTF YOU SAYIN… in Japanese? –… #pcc

3. March 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Via @tianafeng for @papercranes WTF YOU SAYIN… in Japanese? –… #pcc

4. March 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

This is a fantastic beat! I’m really excited for your pieces. One question, what is “actually Japanese?” My cousins are half black and half white, born in Japan (their first language is Japanese) from American born parents. Just thought I might point out that the word choice might be misunderstood.

Anyhow–totally stoked for this. Do you ever listen to Nujabes or Mitsu the Beat?

5. March 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM

RT @papercranes: via @papercranes WTF YOU SAYIN… in Japanese? –… #pcc

6. March 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM

RT @papercranes: via @papercranes WTF YOU SAYIN… in Japanese? –… #pcc

7. March 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Oh they were from there originally. Nope! I mainly listen to some J metal, but exploring indie in other languages is sort of fun!