Notes From A Passerby: When Is Too Much Music, Too Much?

Artwork Credit to Camilo Bejarano

It’s no secret that there’s a lot of music floating out there. Every day it seems like another big album has leaked out. Everyone gets excited for a few days and then once the next album leaks, we seem to move on. As a blogger, I am always trying to find new music. That’s the whole point of my blog. But even I’m getting overwhelmed.

With hundreds of e-mails coming my way, I usually find a few great new acts that I want to pay attention to. Then we have old favorites like Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys dropping new music. There’s new live music, videos, bootlegs, covers, every day. At some point, I just don’t know what the hell to do. It’s just a lot of music to listen to. It’s a weird dilemma. You try to filter out only the stuff you think is worth your time, but you also don’t want to miss out on anything cool. By the end of it, you’re just exhausted.

There’s certainly much bigger problem in the world than having too much music. I know that. I’m just sayin’, that the internet is being constantly flooded with new music, and how are we to judge what’s good and what’s great. At some point, it’s just new and once it’s not new, it seems like we are done caring.

I think the quick nature of the internet has caused this problem. We get bored once something looses it’s shiny “new” glow. We are ready to absorb the next big thing and hope that they can sustain all the buzz. Most bands can’t, and so we are constantly shuffling to find the next. Will we ever? I don’t know.

I think the industry as a whole needs to take a step back, breath and make it about the love of music again. I know we got promoting to do, and sharing is certainly caring. But when all of us are constantly feeling overwhelmed, is it still worth it?

Now that’s a good question.

– Will from We All Want Someone To Shout For

13 comments for “Notes From A Passerby: When Is Too Much Music, Too Much?

1. March 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Via @papercranes Notes From A Passerby: When Is Too Much Music, Too Much? –… #pcc

2. March 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Via @weallwantsome1 for @papercranes Notes From A Passerby: When Is Too Much Music, Too Much? –… #pcc

3. March 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM

huh, I always thought the word was ‘passerbyer’. Guess not

4. March 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

RT @papercranes: via @papercranes Notes From A Passerby: When Is Too Much Music, Too Much? –… #pcc

5. March 9, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Funny you bring up this point, I was thinking about this very same issue the other day. Since starting a music blog a year and a half ago (well pretty much 3 months ago) I have been swamped with new music from different sources. I have reached out to different Record Labels to get advanced promos and such and now I have more music then I can possible listen too. With the internet as well you can pretty much find anything that you are looking for online. You pretty much have to stick with a little niche and go with that instead of trying to listen to every last bit of quality music in the world. As for me I am just a one man show so my time is limited to the amount of music I can get to. I am a big believer in the year 2011 for music as well. I really think things in the music industry are going to start to turn around just a little. The return of Vinyl, or the first ever Newspaper album who knows what will be the hero but music is too important to die.

6. March 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I couldn’t agree more with this sentiment and my biggest worry is that talented bands/musicians are being overlooked in the information overload. It may feel like a good position to be in but I worry that a lot of lesser-talented musicians get lucky with one or two songs that get promoted because they were received on a quiet day.

I am finding it more and more difficult to write about bands that I really love because I am worried about getting content up instead of really listening to the music. I hate that.

7. March 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM

As a musician and avid music blog reader I agree that the supply of and demand for music is out of balance. Every tweet, blog, and facebook status update comes and goes in flash. If you blink, you miss the announcement of new release and the opportunity to tune into something new. At the same time, music itself has come to be treated as disposable and something that gets less than 30 seconds of time to make an impression before it’s passed on. For talented songwriters, music is an art form in which hours of time are invested in every aspect of its creation and recording. Everyone should make the effort to spend time (real time) getting into new music and appreciating what is great about it. Stop chasing the latest sound that clearly lacks substance and staying power. Keep it up music bloggers; you do invaluable work.

8. March 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM

I agree entirely, which is why I’m happy that we’re doing this website. Posting less frequently (as an individual) gives us (the blogger) the opportunity to step back, listen to the music, consider our tone, and decide our format. It’s refreshing to say the least.

9. March 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Totally agree, Will. I was just thinking about the other day when somebody mentioned how quickly people got over the Radiohead release. Thanks for saying it!

10. March 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM

11. March 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM

12. March 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Think about all the music that really matters and it’s often connected to things that happened, shared experiences, people…One has to live with the music for some time. This is hard with so much music coming out so quickly. I think it takes even longer for it all to sink in these days. Luckily though, even if something is missed, it will surface sometime in the future if it’s good. I discover bands I missed the first time around all the time – somtimes 10-20 years on!