I hear Arcade Fire won a grammy? I guess my work here is done….

So, according to the intertubal highways of cyber love canals, the holiest of holy indie bands, our beloved Arcade Fire, won a grammy the other night. Considering our little blog started out way back in lard knows when as an avenue to share leaked Arcade Fire songs when the music board I was on banned links to music, I’d gander to say our work here is done…

Grammys are stupid, yes. Nothing more than an industry’s self-congratulatory circle-jerkery.

Why anybody gives two-shits who wins one of those awards or any of those industry awards for that matter — none of you seem to give even a half-a-shit about who won car insurance salesperson of 2010, do you? — is beyond me.

What’s doubly mind-confabulating is why any of the indie-kids, you know the music bloggers, the kids aware of Neutal Milk Hotel, their twitter followers and followees, would also care… and if twitter is any indication, they care alot.

The play-by-play & commentary was non-stop.

Do you reeeeally care if Christine Aguliboogili sang or said or wore or whatever anything? Lady Poopypants came dressed as a spoiled cadbury egg. So what?

When I asked on the twitters your basic “huh? why?”, I was told it was about pop culture. Though, really, if the grammys are your pop culture fix, I really recommend you check out the internet. It’s got you covered oh-so-much more than some awards show.

I was told you gotta take the good *and* the bad. I did once, it was called the Facts Of Life.

btw… I totally had crushes on Jo & Tutti

But, even without the leadership of Ms. Garrett, don’t we already take the good and the bad everyday when we see Black Eyes Peas shit all over the super bowl? When we just keep giving money and publicity and money and publicity to all these vapid & manufactured “pop stars” all over the TV & internets? After spending the year avoiding as much of that crap as possible, why do I have to endure a pure multi-hour orgasm of it to know it exists?

I was also told it was to see Matt Bellamy. I don’t know who that is, but I bet money over miracles I can find some youtube videos of him.

Look… I’m no idiot. I know I’m in the minority. Lots of people watched it & will watch it again next year & care. Lots of people put some kind of emotional weight into whether or not the “artists” they like win a trophy.

O.M.4.G, like, Justin Beiber was thiiiiiis close to joining the ranks of…

Milli Vanilli

Black Eyed Peas

Puff Daddy

Baha Men

and even All-4-one.

Yep… Baha Men

and All-4-One.

And now indie’s very own Arcade Fire, shown below in their least pretentious PR photo.

I don’t know what’s more interesting. The excitement the indie-kids had that their band was nominated? The annoyance they had when suddenly all of “those people” knew of Arcade Fire’s existence? Or the arrogant gleeful amusement over the mainstream’s ignorance.

You can’t have your cake, take a shit on it, and then eat it too! Well, I guess you could, probably go viral if you filmed it.

*shrug*

So, anyways, we’ve seen a few indie-albums hit number 1 here and there, but considering how few albums are sold these days, I really don’t take that as an indie-barometer of current mainstream penetration. Nope, looks like crapfests like the grammys is all we got and Arcade Fire is the Jackie Robinson of indie music.

You broke into the big leagues, baby, and now everyone from pee-paw in the recliner to the mom in mom jeans at the local grocery store knows of your existence.

Congratulations!

So yeah… I guess this means my work here is done. We music bloggerin’ types can step aside and let the real press take on the indiefication of mainstream music. Next up, Arcade Fire & The National (I mean, they ARE often compared to each other) will be signed to Major Label outfits and fill an arena or two. The influx, like the massive signings that took place after Nirvana “changed music”, of indies-gone-mainstream are about to begin.

Well, until the major labels finally go bankrupt, that is.

What else is there for me? An odd little music bloggerin’ fool (music blogger #442,210) jibber-jabberin’ about unknown band #2,554,210 has no place in the future muisc world.

I guess we did it, my friends. We won. We made it. Woot.

So… what happens now?

23 comments for “I hear Arcade Fire won a grammy? I guess my work here is done….

1. February 16, 2011 at 1:23 AM

matt bellamy is the vocalist of muse.

btw, thanks tsururadio, because i met arcade fire by you a long time ago.

2. February 16, 2011 at 12:39 AM

On @TSURURADIO I hear Arcade Fire won a grammy? I guess my work here is done…. – http://tsururadio.com/2011/02/i-hear-arc

3. Liz
    February 16, 2011 at 6:59 AM

I’m probably gonna get shot for this, but I can’t believe Arcade Fire won a Grammy for their worst album. (Hipsters and music lovers alike, seriously, don’t shoot, I just freakin’ love their first and second that much)

4. Anonymous
    February 16, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Pschhaw. My mom in mom jeans learned about Arcade Fire back when they played on SNL promoting Neon Bible, in 2007.

Yup.. My mom’s an indie mom.

5. andrew_alba
    February 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

RT @TSURURADIO: I guess I’m done music bloggerin’ —-> http://tsururadio.com/2011/02/i-hear-arc… We did it, eh? We did it….

6. hitmewithmuzak
    February 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

@TSURURADIO phew, reading that tweet I was expecting a completely different blog post, had me scared for a moment!

7. February 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Here’s a story a friend told me yesterday about when he was interning at some label in Philly years ago. He said that one year when he was doing his regular morning thang he was opening mail and putting it in the laps of those it needed to go to. Grammy nomination packets arrived and he was totes stoked… I think I would be too, even now, having not really ever been close to the circus, let alone voting on which clowns are celebrated.

So he gets to handing them out–three or four of them–and within a few minutes the first guy comes back to him and drops the packet back on his desk. “Would you mind taking care of this? I have to get to a meeting.” The guy had filled out Album of the year, signed the submission form, and left the rest of the entries blank for my friend to fill out.

Then another guy did the same.

And another.

It’s not that Grammys are meaningless… I like awards, I like that people are awarded for what they do (even if I don’t think that they deserve shit, i’d rather there be an award than no most times). Thing is, the people who seem to care the most about them are the people watching the show… which is why they have the show. (That’s no secret.) They hold the Grammys on TV not to base their academy on a system honoring the truly deserving, but to nail some ad revenue. Which isn’t dishonorable–I like ads, especially if advertisers are reading this: Please give me your money, I really need it–but it becomes an issue when those lines are blurred. Intent vs. perception.

Arcade Fire won–cool–but why? Part of me thinks it’s because they made some good jams, which is true. I really enjoy about half of the album ad found myself going back to it a buncha times last year. Ended up as one of my favs come year end (lower-to-mid-range favs, but favs nonetheless). But the other part of me thinks that they won to help cater to an audience that the award show on a whole has fast become an antique to… Katy Perrys of the world are expected to be nominated for this shit… that’s not surprising. But when the Arcade Fire is nominated (let alone wins!) it’s all of a sudden shocking, and this revived audience segment is all of a sudden given faith in the system once again and jumps on the back of their idols in the perceived battle against The Mainstream.

I’m not even remotely trying to suggest that it was a slew of crafty interns who pushed a name like Arcade Fire to the top, but I am suggesting that the voting system, let alone the spectacle of the show, is not what matters. What matters is that next year more people are likely to tune in when Kanye & the Strokes are nominated for something… because it’s Kanye and the Strokes instead of Toby Keith and Maroon 5. Their fans were going to watch regardless and didn’t need to be lured into this belief that music they like was going to be represented… Arcade Fire fans do (did). That’s all.

8. February 16, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Great post. Yes, yes, yes.

9. CultureBully
    February 16, 2011 at 7:52 PM

@TSURURADIO I don’t think our mutual bromance is any secret… there’s a disturbing amount of evidence of it on the web… heart you.

10. CultureBully
    February 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM

@TSURURADIO i don’t know that it’s sensibility, just a different perspective on it. if i’m the voice of sensibility we’re all doomed.

11. tianafeng
    February 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

RT @TSURURADIO: Best comment ever is by @CultureBully >>>>> http://tsururadio.com/2011/02/i-hear-arc… — Reason #3221 why I love this guy.

12. CultureBully
    February 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM

@TSURURADIO you, sir, are wildin’ out in a way that Nick Cannon never could.

13. CultureBully
    February 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM

@TSURURADIO top 10 shows in the history of television http://www.mtv.com/shows/nick_cannon_wil

14. Anonymous
    February 16, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Well said. Though, realistically–how many “Arcade Fire fans” watch TVs? They all read blogs and get their latest from Culture Bully and Tsururadio.

=P

15. February 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM

16. February 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

@hitmewithmuzak I don’t know… maybe I am? I’m not feeling it this week, you know?

17. February 16, 2011 at 7:46 PM

18. February 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM

@CultureBully <3 amen <3 I love the sensibility you brought to that comment. I’ve become jaded to the masses, I fear.

19. February 16, 2011 at 8:34 PM

@CultureBully I like that apocalypse.

20. February 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM
  21. February 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM

“Realistically” I think a hell of a lot of Arcade Fire fans talked about the Grammys Sunday night whether or not they watched the show… and, sure, it’s impossible to definitively say whether or not a ton of new Arcade Fan-loving viewers watched the show or not… but I’m sticking with the former.

Regardless of whoever it was watching the show or what drove those people to pay attention, viewership was up a million people over last year.

22. February 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM