Winter bikes and Wilderness Heart by Black Mountain!

Photography of Crystal O. by me!!!

I’ll tell ya, nothing cures an upset stomach like riding a bike through some gross heat & humidity! Pedal & sweat that shit OUT! WOO! Feeling nearly 100% as we kick into this sunny last-gas of summer Tuesday! Almost time to pull out the arm-warmers & time to make sure that winter bike is tuned up and ready to go!

Wanna see her?

Yep, it’s the cheapest decent cyclocross bike I could find (sold off the old 50lb mountain bike I put studs on and road last winter), and this weekend I spent a little time getter her all tuned and ready. The only missing piece is the studded tires — seriously… if you are doing some winter cycling on snow or ice, follow the link for the best & most affordable studded tires I’ve found, last year’s were amazing!

I’m actually getting excited for the challenge! I rode all last winter, but I hope to really keep this mojo going…. I’ve crossed the 4,000 mile mark for the year and I’ve got 4 months left to get another 2K in to hit my 6,000 mile goal! Going to be tough if winter comes early! EXCELSIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay… enough about bikes, most, if not all, of you could care less. What YOU care about is, more likely than not, los musica and my friends, we got the los musicas for you today!! Uh-huh! With Wilderness Heart by Black Mountain!

Ah, you see, THIS is how I like my classic rock, fresh, fun, ever-so-slightly proggy, and ass-KICKIN’! And, for the most part, this album rocks. Yeah, there’s your quieter tracks like “Radiant Heart” but just soon as you settle down, “Roller Coaster’s” fuzzy Detroit-style bass line kicks in and we are 70’s metal heads all over again!

My favourite track is actually the lead-off gem “The Hair Song”, there’s something awesomely familiar and refreshing about it at the same time. Like something Stone Temple Pilots would’ve recorded for Purple, mixed in with some Jethro Tull, and modernized for 2010! Yeah… take THAT music critics!

Great & very very fun album!

The Hair Song
Old Fangs (video)

Radiant Hearts
Let Spirits Ride
Buried By The Blues
The Way To Gone
Wilderness Heart
The Space of Your Mind

Some Black Mountain love! Myspace | Official | Label

7 comments for “Winter bikes and Wilderness Heart by Black Mountain!

1. August 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Dude! This is C O O L $hit!

2. August 31, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Nice Scat bike! Did you get her from Performance, or used?

3. August 31, 2010 at 2:28 PM

PS. I care about bikes! And the word “Excelsior”!! :)

4. August 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Ended up going new, nothing on craigslist was A) my size + B) affordable. It’s got all Sora components, but so far, I love it! A little heavier than the BMC, but I just figure it’s a lower center of gravity for those icy roads a-coming!

5. August 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM

So, I’m finally at the place where I have the means to purchase my epic “dream” roadie bike… looking for something 60cm-ish, and awesome! So far I’m most impressed by Specialized and Cannondales, but have an open mind. I want something racy, comfortable, and has tons of character!!! I’ll e-mail you more soon…..

6. August 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Obviously, I’m partial to BMC, I just love my bike, sexy, fun, unique, etc! BUT, with that being said, once you go Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, and, one of my other favourites, Felt, you really can’t go wrong.

I don’t know how much you have to spend, but if you can find a late model on Craigslist, you may even get carbon & better components!

To your brands… I’ve heard nothing but good things about Cannondales CAAD 9 from people online. In person, I know quite a few people with Specialized Allez & Roubaix (I forget which is more race and which is more comfort) but they are all very happy.

I’m disproportionately “leggy” for a male, so a 56cm worked best for me, I just put the seat up high and the shorter top tube works great. Tuck rocks a 58cm I believe. We are about the same height, but different proportions.

Fit is huge so just make sure you get the right size!! ;)

did you have fun on your century????

7. August 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM

God I love this website! There are more people talking about bikes and riding than about the new Arcade Fire video. Which is totally freaking cool! Good song and video, but hell, everyone’s talking about it already. But bike riding. And classic rock. That combination can only be found right here, on TSURURADIO!