How’s THAT for a Bike Ride name??? Awesome!!! Exactly.
Today is World Cancer Day, so I couldn’t think of a better time to make this announcement. On Saturday, April 3rd, TSURURADIO will be hosting a Super Awesome NO-FRILLS Bike Ride for Breast Cancer!!!
I’ve been wanting to do this ever since my first charity bike ride, the Tour de Cure for diabetes. There is something amazing about a bunch of people getting on their bikes, riding around together, making new friends, exploring new areas & routes, maybe discovering what they can do physically, and all the while raising money & awareness for a great cause.
Now, I’m just one guy so I wanted to keep this extremely simple & super-minimalist. So here’s how this is going to work:
- April 3rd, you show up BEFORE 9AM with your bike, your helmet, and $20.
- You donate $20 and pick out a 10, 25 20, or 50 mile route map.
- At or just after 9am, we all ride out together!
- Follow your chosen route map, have fun, make friends, enjoy a nice April morning, until you are done. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
- We count the money raised, announce it here, and give it ALL to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure group!
- NO-FRILLS? Yes, no-frills. This is an unsupported, no pomp, no circumstance, NO SPONSORS, no free stuff, no prizes, no cowbells, & therefore no expense (except copying the maps), meaning more (actually ALL) money goes to the charity!
- LOCATION: PARK OF ROSES, COLUMBUS, OH!!! After much deliberation, we decided to meet at the Park Of Roses in Columbus, OH. It has public parking, water fountains, and (hopefully) the porta-potties out! It’s on the bike path, which most of the riding will occur and it’s a chance to take advantage of one of the best bike paths Columbus has to offer!!! We’ll be over by the bike path, come look for us! The official address is: 3923 North High Street, Columbus, OH 43214
- LINK TO SHARE: Main Page -> http://bit.ly/TSURURIDE Facebook Event Page -> http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=365775912497
- LARGE FLYER TO PRINT: http://www.tsururadio.com/tsururadiobikeride-UPDATED.jpg
- HELMETS? Yes. You look like a dork? Get over it, we will ALL look like dorks together. This is for cancer, not for your ego. And bring hydration, bring a spare tube, bring a working bike, bring your cell phone in case you need to be picked up. i.e. BE PREPARED! The more prepared you are, the more fun you will have! I promise that!
- HOW BIG WILL THIS BE? I have no idea. If we raise $20 because I’m the only guy out there on April 3rd, or if we suddenly have 1,000 people trying to ride together, it will be a success in my book. Let’s just do this!
- WHAT IF IT RAINS? Wear a rain cape and expect to get wet. As my Mama Tsuru would say, HTFU or “Harden The Fuck Up” (she had quite the sailor mouth). This is for charity, a little rain is NOTHING compare to what our moms, sisters, wives, friends, and even a few guys have to go through.
3/10 update!!! MAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, we tried and tried, but there was just no way to get a good 25 mile route without making it a convoluted ride of back streets and switchbacks and god knows what else… SOOOOO we had to make it a 20 mile route, hope you don’t mind too much. Here are the routes!
Description: Enjoy a lovely ride along the Olentangy River and see just how far that bike path actually goes!!!!
Description: Take the Olentangy Bike Path up and out. You’ll have 1 little but nasty steep hill to contend with, but after that, some looping into a residential area and back down we go!!!
Description: Just like the 20, take the Olentangy Bike Path up and out, but after that little but nasty steep hill & a bit of residential, we head north to Powell & then to Delaware! It’s long straight-aways up with rollers to boot & potentially some traffic & railroad tracks. Definitely for those comfortable around cars. The way back south will show you some open fields, a bit of lovely riverside, then back from whence we came! A good hard ride!
Excited??? ME TOO!! Stay tuned, okay? More details to come!!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!! WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Cheers & let’s ride,
Aaron (aka Tsuru)