How’s THAT for a Bike Ride name???   Awesome!!!  Exactly.

Today is World Cancer Day, so I couldn’t think of a better time to make this announcement.  On Saturday, April 3rd, TSURURADIO will be hosting a Super Awesome NO-FRILLS Bike Ride for Breast Cancer!!!

The Idea

I’ve been wanting to do this ever since my first charity bike ride, the Tour de Cure for diabetes.  There is something amazing about a bunch of people getting on their bikes, riding around together, making new friends, exploring new areas & routes, maybe discovering what they can do physically, and all the while raising money & awareness for a great cause.

Now, I’m just one guy so I wanted to keep this extremely simple & super-minimalist.  So here’s how this is going to work:

1. April 3rd, you show up BEFORE 9AM with your bike, your helmet, and $20.
  2. You donate $20 and pick out a 10, 25 20, or 50 mile route map.
  3. At or just after 9am, we all ride out together!
  4. Follow your chosen route map, have fun, make friends, enjoy a nice April morning, until you are done.  YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
  5. We count the money raised, announce it here, and give it ALL to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure group!

The Details

• NO-FRILLS? Yes, no-frills.  This is an unsupported, no pomp, no circumstance, NO SPONSORS, no free stuff, no prizes, no cowbells, & therefore no expense (except copying the maps), meaning more (actually ALL) money goes to the charity!

• LOCATION: PARK OF ROSES, COLUMBUS, OH!!! After much deliberation, we decided to meet at the Park Of Roses in Columbus, OH.  It has public parking, water fountains, and (hopefully) the porta-potties out!  It’s on the bike path, which most of the riding will occur and it’s a chance to take advantage of one of the best bike paths Columbus has to offer!!!   We’ll be over by the bike path, come look for us!  The official address is: 3923 North High Street, Columbus, OH 43214

• HELMETS? Yes.  You look like a dork?  Get over it, we will ALL look like dorks together.  This is for cancer, not for your ego.  And bring hydration, bring a spare tube, bring a working bike, bring your cell phone in case you need to be picked up. i.e. BE PREPARED!  The more prepared you are, the more fun you will have!  I promise that!

• HOW BIG WILL THIS BE? I have no idea.  If we raise $20 because I’m the only guy out there on April 3rd, or if we suddenly have 1,000 people trying to ride together, it will be a success in my book.  Let’s just do this!

• WHAT IF IT RAINS? Wear a rain cape and expect to get wet.  As my Mama Tsuru would say, HTFU or “Harden The Fuck Up” (she had quite the sailor mouth).  This is for charity, a little rain is NOTHING compare to what our moms, sisters, wives, friends, and even a few guys have to go through.

3/10 update!!!  MAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well, we tried and tried, but there was just no way to get a good 25 mile route without making it a convoluted ride of back streets and switchbacks and god knows what else… SOOOOO we had to make it a 20 mile route, hope you don’t mind too much.  Here are the routes!

Difficulty: Easy
Description: Enjoy a lovely ride along the Olentangy River and see just how far that bike path actually goes!!!!

20 MILES!!

Difficulty: Intermediate
Description: Take the Olentangy Bike Path up and out. You’ll have 1 little but nasty steep hill to contend with, but after that, some looping into a residential area and back down we go!!!

50 MILES!!!

Difficulty: Experienced
Description: Just like the 20, take the Olentangy Bike Path up and out, but after that little but nasty steep hill & a bit of residential, we head north to Powell & then to Delaware! It’s long straight-aways up with rollers to boot & potentially some traffic & railroad tracks. Definitely for those comfortable around cars. The way back south will show you some open fields, a bit of lovely riverside, then back from whence we came! A good hard ride!

I will send out updates to this page on the blog, Twitter, and Facebook.  So subscribe, follow, and/or friend us now!

Excited???  ME TOO!!  Stay tuned, okay?  More details to come!!!!   WE CAN DO THIS!!!!  WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Cheers & let’s ride,

Aaron (aka Tsuru)

17 comments for “World Cancer Day Announcement: We are hosting a Super Awesome NO-FRILLS Bike Ride for Breast Cancer on April 3rd in Columbus, OH!!!

1. Tucker
    February 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

We’re raising at least $40!

Let’s do this thing!

2. February 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM

HELL YEAH!!! Tuck, you da man!!!

3. Dana
    February 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM

4. February 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Hi Dana,

COLUMBUS, OH!!!!!

and thanks, can’t believe I didn’t add the city in the post!!! So nervous to get the post up and sort out all the details, I didn’t put the actual city in the post??? Oh my.

Thanks again!!!

5. Neil
    February 4, 2010 at 9:08 PM

OMG I really wanna come and meet you and ride bikes!!! We’ll see if I can get a day or two off from work and drive/carpool on out there… will you be doing the 50 mile route?

6. February 4, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Hey Neil, you know it! 50 for me…. I hope you can make it!!!

7. Molly
    February 6, 2010 at 9:31 PM

This looks great! I’ve been listening to so much good music in the past year thanks to your blog. It’ll be great to meet you and say thanks AND get a good ride in.

8. February 7, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Hi Molly! Thank you so much!!! I can’t wait for the ride and definitely look forward to meeting & riding with you!

9. Aaron
    February 8, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Do you happen to have any posters printed up? I’d like to get some, i’ll volunteer to put them up and try and find as many people as possible. maybe pass around the flyers to other bikers at the college

10. Mixitup
    February 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Where do you donate? PayPal? An address to mail please!

11. mfg
    April 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM

will there be boomboxes? oh, and /bump/ @mixitup the #where

12. April 1, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Boomboxes at registration!!! And then we tuck it away and ride!!!

As for paypal stuff… see yesterday’s post –

“I keep getting asked from people NOT in Columbus, OH where & how they can donate. As much as I don’t like saying “no” to a donation to a good cause, the idea behind this is that you, me, billy down the street, any of us can do this. You don’t need to wait for a Tour de Cure or Pelotonia or whatever to come to town! You don’t need prizes, free food, Lance Armstrong, or a sponsor from VIV PROTEIN ENERGY BIG PENIS DRINKS. Right now, you can grab 4 friends, go for a bike ride, jog, walk, skip, roller blade thing, or whatever the hell this thing is…”

“Each chip in a $20 spot, and BLAMO! $100 bucks to your charity of choice! It really is that easy. So…. you want to help out on my ride? Well, in 3 days, get up nice and early, grab a buddy or two or 50, hop on your bikes WHEREVER YOU ARE and go for a ride! Then send a little check to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure group or really, any cause you want!”

I thin next time (and there definitely be a next time), we see how many rides around this big blue globe we can get going, eh??? Wouldn’t that be awesome!

13. August 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM

we can always prevent cancer by regular self-breast exams-~’

14. October 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Breast Cancer is one of the diseases that affects most women but it can be detected early and treated early too-,*

15. April 28, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Therefore, far more than 31,830 emails were dismissed as private, individual
    records”and had been not turned over to
    congressional investigators.

16. May 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM

E-commerce seeks to add income streams employing the Web to build and
    boost relationships with clients and partners.