tsuruloosies… a few before the weekend brewskis!

Happy Friday! Got a little sumtin-sumtin to share a little later, but first, let’s catch up with some intertubal hawt hypeness with a couple TSU to the RU to the LOOSIES!

Radiohead – Harry Patch (In Memory Of) (Stream at the BBC)

Who’s Harry Patch? No clue (sorry), but apparently his death was meaningful to the boys at Radiohead so they released this little tribute to him. And well, it’s okay, I guess. Sounds like it belongs in some cheesy pull-at-your-emotions scene in some Hollywood flick. Think about it… Listen and pretend, oh, I don’t know, Celine Dion is singing it and then tell me what you’d think of it? Now imagine it playing after we see Leonardo DiCrappio sinking into the water, frozen and dead.

Almost tear-inducing (for a mid-90’s 13 year old girl! Oh SNAPS!)…

Nurses – Technicolor

Okay, this is pretty cool… it’s got a few idea that seem to start and stop while the verse & melody basically repeats over and over. Got a bit of a “work song” feel layered with a bit of trippy technicolor-ness implied by the title! Very cool…. will have to check out more from these, uh, Nurses.

The Raveonettes – Suicide

“Suicide” initially sounds like it belongs on a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack, all fuzzy and retro struuuum, as if Nancy Sinatra should take the microphone at any second, that is until the chorus kicks in and suddenly we are transported to a European discotheque!

I can see it now, a bunch of bubbly disco girls bouncing around when the chorus takes off lip-syncing about suicide, while skeezy pony-tailed dudes with perfectly quaffed and trimmed “beards” look on..

Lou Barlow – Gravitate

LOOOOU! There’s a name for you, Lou. Everyone loves Lou, unless he’s coming around to break your legs or something…. But this is Lou Barlow and his song “Gravitate”. This one’s pretty nice, fits in well with Nurses “Technicolor”, with the hat old school “work song” kinda feel. Here though, Lou, who sounds like Matthew Sweet vocally, builds a mostly acoustic dirge, if you will that quickly drives along while you toil in the field… Nice.

Tsuru And The Bride | Etsy | Society | Facebook | Twitter

11 comments for “tsuruloosies… a few before the weekend brewskis!

1. Alexi
    August 8, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Please remove the Harry Patch mp3. It is a song written about the last survivor of the first world war who recently died. It is being sold with all money going to support those who have survived wars. By giving this away you are stealing from these people. Personally I think that is wrong. I leave that up to you.

As you don't know who he was, look here:

Not only will it teach you something, it will hopefully also make you want to take down your rather tasteless Titanic comment. His friends & colleagues died for real around him, freezing to death in the trenches of World War I. Not in a film. Really. Please consider removing this post.

2. Tsuru
    August 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM

hi Alexi, wasn't aware that they were selling the song for any cause as I don't follow Radiohead. I think that's great if Radiohead wants to use their star power to help vets. There are tons of wonderful organizations out there, I'm sure the Legion is one of them, but hats off to all of them.

As for the song comment, sorry you think it's tasteless, but I stand by it. I DO think it sounds like a cheesy little Celine Dion song for Titanic.

Regardless of the reason for a song, I believe I should be allowed to have opinions of it, love it, make fun of it, hate it, or give it a metaphorical tasteless Titanic wedgie. I would think that THAT was one of the reasons someone like Harry Patch fought in the first place, no?

There are infinite songs written about serious situations, but just because the subject matter has depth & meaning, doesn't mean the song get's a free pass to be shitty.

Or maybe it's just too soon to make the Celine Dion comment? Maybe I need to give it time? Has enough time passed that I can make jokes at the remake of "Give Peace A Chance"? Or maybe "We Are The World"? I'm just saying, is all.

Anyways, thanks for stopping by, sorry you didn't have a good time!

3. drew
    August 8, 2009 at 11:36 PM

If you had taken the time to read what had been posted on Radiohead's site, instead of just uploading their latest track in order to generate hits for your blog, then you would know that they were not using their star power in order to "help vets". Rather that after hearing an interview on the BBC with the last surviving soldier who had fought at the 3rd battle of Ypres, Thom Yorke had been so moved that he decided to write a song in honour of the man and his profound words.

Your flippancy is rather sad.

4. Alexi
    August 9, 2009 at 1:32 AM

"I would think that THAT was one of the reasons someone like Harry Patch fought in the first place, no?"

No. I think you are confusing the freedom of speech rights enshrined and beloved of your constitution with a world war that was caused by the assassination of a previously obscure archduke. I can't think of any conflict that has been fought to ensure freedom of speech, whatever romantic revolutionary reasoning has been ascribed to it retrospectively. Land, oil maybe, but never freedom of speech.

I would like to ask my great-grandfather whether he fought in the trenches so that 100 years later some guy on a blog would be free to express his opinion. Unfortunately I can't because he died in Passchendaele in 1917 & I never got to meet him.

You are free to make whatever comments you wish about anything you wish; that's why you live in the land of the free. But please don't confuse this with a right not to be criticised for doing so. I personally couldn't care one way or the other about the song. I do care about the cause it represents & the money being generated because of it and the soldiers and their families this song will support. The trouble is when you write words like "now imagine it playing after we see Leonardo DiCrappio sinking into the water, frozen and dead", I see blood relatives lying dead in a trench.

I'm sorry you can't see that this might be a problem and it would seem others here agree with me.

Thanks for taking down the 'free' link.

5. Tsuru
    August 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM

After all this time, my first controversial post, eh? Very interesting… I would've never guessed in a million years that a Radiohead song would cause a little comment flurry.

@drew …then they sell the song to help vets, correct? Not a bad thing, all good. Using your name to sell something for good causes is a good thing.

But if you think I do things on TSURURADIO to garner hits, then you don't know TSURURADIO. I talk about & share music I like, simple as pie, popular or not, don't give two shits. What would be the point? To take on "the big blogs" (my blog is bigger than your blog, wah! what's the point of that)? To make ad moneys (oh wait, I don't sell ad space)?? To be more popular with the cool kids (it's a blog, I'll NEVER be popular with the cool kids)??

The tsuruloosies offer me a chance to branch out and look blindly at what's hot & hyped in bloggy land and take a gander at it and be honest with you about how I feel. Generating hits would be to pretend I actually like it as I know there are a lot of Radiohead fans out there.

This song is one of those that people are talking about. I think it's a pretty bad Celine Dion-type song, at best. That's all. The end. I was even straight up honest that I don't know who the guy they were singing about was, I didn't wiki him then suddenly pretend to be some WWI historian (which I double-darn guarantee you a whole bunch of other sites did).

So, how or why you would take offense when some guy says, "hey, I don't know what their singing about, but man, I don't like this song, sounds like a bad movie soundtrack" is beyond me. Now, if I announced ignorance but then went on to have an opinion on what or who they were singing about that tweaked you, I'd totally understand.

And while I was at it, should I have researched into the depths of "Gravitate" by Lou Barlow or Raveonettes "Suicide" or are they not worthy of that kind of scrutiny? Or should I only do it for songs with proper names in their titles? Do you research the meaning of all the songs you listen to before judging them?

You see where I'm going with this?

@alexi you are right, wars are often fought, initiated, etc, for less than glorious reasons, but fortunately for us, the preservation of freedom of speech among many other nice little freedoms, were kept around because our grandfathers & great-grandfathers fought in them trenches.

I have no problem being criticized for my opinion because I know I'm able to have it and share it. You and I can say and feel whatever we want, isn't that grand? The only negative thing about that, is we can suddenly become stuck in an infinite loop of "uh-huh!" v. "nuh-uh!"… but that's certainly better than not being able to express "nuh-uh" in the first place, eh?

Sorry the movie comparison bothered you, but really, can't you hear the cheesy Hollywood orchestral soundtrack too? I don't know… it's pretty over-the-top and bad, in my opinion.

But hey, to each their own!

…..I got to tell you guys, I don't know if it's genuinely because of the subject matter, or because it's a radiohead song, or what, but the reaction to this post is very interesting.

6. Alexi
    August 9, 2009 at 11:29 PM

I agree it isn't Radiohead's finest song & obviously anyone can criticise it for being such. That was never my intended point. It was:

1) Giving away something that isn't yours for free so diverting money away from the survivors of wars
    2) Your inappropriate comparison to a bad film that has a personal aspect for me

Neither of these have any impact upon your freedom of speech or your freedom to breach copyright.

You state 'I talk about & share music I like, simple as pie, popular or not' which is ironic given your choice of song as you quite patently don't like it. Which is fine.

As an aside, I (as a non-US citizen) am perpetually amazed why criticism posted onto most US blogs immediately evokes the freedom of speech response. I have never understood the need to come back with this answer every time because I've always assumed this was taken for granted. Again I find it ironic that one of the few (only?) countries that has it indoctrinated as a constitutional mandate finds it necessary to mention it so often.

Its not the subject matter that started all this; it was giving away that song for free regardless of whether it is the best song ever written or just goddamn awful. Which you have now changed and for which I am grateful.

And I've been reading your blog for a while & more often than not agree with your opinions. We also have similar tastes in music. So this isn't and never was personal.

7. Tsuru
    August 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Hi Alexi,

Glad you came back to comment… like I told Drew, tsuruloosies are the one time I branch out to see what's out there and what's going on, what's hot & hyped, to see what I'm missing and "review it". My chance to not like something, yet still discuss it, and let my snarky flag fly, if you will.

Not sure why the freedom of expression thing pops up with US folks, I guess because it's pretty ingrained in us from the moment we can speak? Not sure… I do believe in it dearly, even to the point of letting the super-idiots speak freely (as I rather people who hate be out in the open, then buried in some underground).

But, I'm rambling, sorry.

I'm glad you and I agree more than we don't, and I'm sorry you found the Titanic comment tasteless. It's what was in my head and therefore what was written.

I will always be honest here, it will only be a matter of whether or not I say it.

I think I've lost the point of my ramblings right now, but I hope you understand where I'm at and what the hell I'm saying!

Anyways…. We are talking about all this down in the society, and honestly, I'd love to have your point of view in the discussion (as long as it's flame-free! which I'm sure it will be). Hope to see you in there — http://oursociety.tsururadio.com — we are talking about it in "The Basement".

8. drew
    August 10, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I would have thought that knowing about the songs that you post is a pre-requisite or do you post anything? When you hear a song aren't you at least a little curious about what the song is about?

The reason that your comments rankled so much had nothing to do with Radiohead whom I can take or leave. It was the fact that the passing of the last survivor of the trenches of WW1 was a big deal over here in the UK and I would have thought would also have been news on the other side of the Atlantic as well.

I agree that the worthiness of a song does not make it impervious criticism but I do feel that in order to criticize it is necessary to be aware of the facts. But that's just my opinion and I won't get upset if you disagee.

9. Tsuru
    August 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Hey Drew!

Welcome back! To me, knowing about a song is not a prerequisite to review it at all..

Let's go back to the good ol' days when you heard new music via the radio. A song you never heard would come on and you form an opinion of it, right then and there, correct? Music is an emotional connection for me, first. I don't always need to know the back story to every song/album/artist before I can like or dislike something. In fact, if you akin the experience to relationships, half the fun is the long-term, realizing over time the history, but more importantly, building your own history with a song or album or artist or whatever. But first, you got to be attracted to it… I wasn't, in this case, I told you why, made a "funny" bit about the Titanic, and I moved on.

I believe Drew, really believe, that in music there are no right or wrong answers. We are each individuals and we are all products or our genetics, environment, and our interpretations of events that occur in our own little individual worlds. To someone out there, this Harry Patch song could be a love song for all I know, and that would be a-okay.

As for Harry Patch being the last survivor making news over here, I have no idea, I didn't really see anything, I just saw this song pop up and everyone start jibbering on about it. Just curious, but did the UK make a big deal at the passing of the 2nd to last survivor? It's funny how we assign value to things like that as if being the last was more special then being the 12th. But that's human nature, I s'pose? We like the first, the last, and the x00ths (i.e. 100th, 1000th, 3000th, whatever).

But I'm digressing, aren't I?

Back to music and relationships…. take today, Bowie's Ziggy, I knew nothing about it when I listened this weekend and today, but I was blown away. As I listened more and more, I start to pick up what's going on, then I read a little more, and I'm slowly building a relationship with this album (one I hope to have for many years!). But it will be my relationship with the album, not some dude on wikipedia, and there's no telling what direction that relationship will go!

You'll see I don't really go all that deep into the music we discuss here, we get excited, we laugh, we have fun, we give basic ideas of what's going on, but it's really there for you to experience and enjoy.

Ah, but maybe I'm a hypocrite (probably), I don't know. I guess I should go re-read my write-ups to see where I've crossed lines and what makes this response a heaping pile of shit.

Either way, let's move on. Hats off to Radiohead for making the song & the effort for a good cause. I hope it works and the Legion gets lots of money. There are a million songs for a million causes and of the billions of people, I hope we can all find ours to get behind and support, even if, at first, it's just to find a little love.

Have a great day Drew, I probably didn't resolve any of your lingering concerns, I apologize if that's the case. If not, I don't know about you, but I'm ready to move on!

10. drew
    August 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM

One last thing, yes in Britain we did make a big deal about the 2nd to last, his name was Henry Allingham and he also died in July the week before Harry Patch.

My grandfather fought at Ypres and thankfully survived. He never spoke about what went on until when i was sitting my history exams when he eventually relented and described to me the horrors he had seen. I believe that that generation deserve all the respect that we can muster, not the Generals but the ordinary men and women who saw such atrocities and managed to cope with it and get on with life after the war was over.My grandfather lived to be 95 but when he told me of what went on in France I finally realised why he always struck me as being quite sad and sometimes miles away.
    Check out this track

http://www.box.net/shared/rczo0380rg – possible the finest anti-war song, sung by the Scot who wrote it and was also responsible for And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.

11. Tsuru
    August 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Man… that's fantastic! Never in the states would they cover it, unless there was some juicy ratings reasons why. Sigh.

I'll check out that song asap (box.net is blocked here at work)…

Both my grandfathers served and I have nothing but respect for anyone willing to put their life out there for you and me. It's something I couldn't do, personally.

Thanks so much, Drew, for all your feedback! I love a little schooling and I appreciate all you brought to the table! Thanks man..

Have a great day!