Happy happy Friday everyone! WOOT! Been a crazy week (again) but it’s coming to a close (finally), but man I’m so thankful to have had today’s album to keep me company….
As you know, I’m more of an album guy, I don’t care for singles and what not, I like to hear albums start to finish, to see an artist’s vision. BUT, as you also know, I love me a good mixtape, the ability to express one’s self by carefully building a new “album” from amazing music, with either a theme, an idea, or (as in this case) a cause is an artform in it’s own right. So, when I heard that the guys from The National put together a double CD/triple vinyl/download “mixtape of sorts” of exclusive material from some of my favourite artists, well I was fucking thrilled!
Dark Was The Night is the result of Aaron & Bryce Dessner and John Carlin of the Red Hot Organization recruiting & producing for 4AD thirty-something artists to do some absolutely brilliant songs. I mean, see below for the tracklisting, fucking hell right? They really called in to all the hot artists, eh? Once it was done, the started releasing a track a day to get people all excited, pretty cool, but of course, you can only have a controlled release to a small degree these days as both discs leaked out and flew across the internetting tubes like a Futurama character.
I’d say it took about 2 listens before I pre-ordered the triple vinyl release for $24 (hell, the Decemberists song alone would’ve been worth it). Yeah, it’s that fucking good. I don’t do this very often, I mean sure, I always ask you to show a little love for the artist (I hope you are), but this one is for a good cause, for HIV & AIDS awareness and cure-finding. So, you know….
Jesus told me personally that if you order this, you are guaranteed a spot in Heaven. Not bad, eh? Okay, did you order it? Good… Thanks.
Now, let’s wrap this up, put a bow on it, and get our weekend on (got a sweet vinyl rip to share this weekend, woot!), shall we? We’re doing fondue tonight… Mmmmm….. brothy meat and melted cheese….. I can feel my arteries a-cloggin’, my waistband a-tuggin’, and my mouth a-salivatin’ already (good thing the weather broke and I’m going for a little bike rider first)!!!
1. “Knotty Pine” – Dirty Projectors + David Byrne
2. “Cello Song” – The Books featuring Joses Gonzalez
3. “Train Song” – Feist and Ben Gibbard
4. “Brackett, WI” – Bon Iver
5. “Deep Blue Sea” – Grizzly Bear
6. “So Far Around The Bend” – The National
7. “Tightrope” – Yeasayer
8. “Feeling Good” – My Brightest Diamond
9. “Dark Was The Night” – Kronos Quartet
10. “I Was Young When I Left Home” – Antony with Bryce Dessner
11. “Big Red Machine” – Justin Vernon + Aaron Dessner
12. “Sleepless” – The Decemberists (removed on request)
like a shadow
on a pea green sea
Never thought that I could
find you so hollow
laying into me…
13. “Die” – Iron & Wine
14. “Service Bell” – Grizzly Bear + Feist
15. “You Are The Blood” – Sufjan Stevens
1. “Well-Alright” – Spoon
2. “Lenin” – Arcade Fire
3. “Mimizan” – Beirut
4. “El Caporal” – My Morning Jacket
5. “Inspiration Information” – Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
6. “With A Girl Like You” – Dave Sitek
7. “Blood Pt. 2” – Buck 65 Remix (featuring Sufjan Stevens and Serengeti)
8. “Hey, Snow White” – The New Pornographers
9. “Gentle Hour” – Yo La Tengo
10. “Amazing Grace” – Cat Power
11. “Happiness” – Riceboy Sleeps
12. “Another Saturday” – Stuart Murdoch
13. “The Giant Of Illinois” – Andrew Bird
14. “Lua” – Conor Oberst with Gillian Welch
15. “When The Road Runs Out” – Blonde Redhead & Devastations
16. “Love Vs. Porn” – Kevin Drew