And I am coming home to you

Photography by Felicia

Hey all, hope you are enjoying our first member vinyl rip! Pretty cool, eh? I just got my next one from another member! Very cool indeed, sounds great, can’t wait to get it up….

But first today’s obsession! It’s Monday, and unfortunately, I’m feeling super A.D.D., today’s post went from the new album by The Mountain Goats, to a Yes post on the song, their cover of Paul Simon’s, “America”, to a request/challenge to you to listen to “America” and a Sunset Rubdown track back-to-back for a prog-comparison, to jamming to Nada Surf again (thanks Peanut!) and now back to Mountain Goats.

First, the Mountain Goats, and their new one, Heretic Pride. Sparse, beautiful, frantic… sometimes coming off like a modern day Violent Femmes (see “Sax Rohmer #1”), other times they are so much more with hints of lushness (that’s a word?) and beauty (see “San Bernardino”…

Either way, it’s brilliant… Enjoy!

The Mountain Goats – 01 Sax Rohmer #1

and I am coming home to you with my own crown(?) in my mouth and I am coming home to you if it’s the last thing that I do

The Mountain Goats – 02 San Bernardino
The Mountain Goats – 03 Heretic Pride
The Mountain Goats – 04 Autoclave
The Mountain Goats – 05 New Zion

Go show Darnielle and the boys some love here, here, and here now!

And, for extra credit…. give these Yes’ cover of “America” a spin and tell me, wouldn’t it be sweet to here Mr. Krug cover Yes covering Paul Simon???? Fuck yeah…..

Yes – America

An aspiring-Canadian can dream, eh?

6 comments for “And I am coming home to you

1. the_peanut
    January 7, 2008 at 9:30 PM

This is only the first Goats album I’ve picked up. So far it sounds good, although I’ve heard it disappoints compared to previous works. Is this so?

2. Tsuru
    January 7, 2008 at 10:55 PM

to be honest, I’ve got Lonely, but don’t listen to it often, grabbed this and really like it, so if this is a “lesser” release, than it can only get better!

3. jenanne
    January 8, 2008 at 2:02 AM

just discovered your blog whilst searching for new mountain goats tracks via elbows

thank you so much for these — i am enchanted. especially by san bernadino. those strings!

4. Tsuru
    January 8, 2008 at 2:06 AM

hi jenanne, welcome to tsururadio! I hope you enjoy all the fun we have to offer… thank you for your kind words, yeah, I was quite impressed myself… I definitely need to relisten to some of their older work!

5. jenn
    January 9, 2008 at 9:28 PM

the mountain goats are my favorite band and, while i love the old stuff, this may be my favorite of their releases. autoclave is my immediate favorite but the whole thing is amazing. also it’s ‘my own blood in my mouth’. :)

also–check out the sunset tree, i think it’s the closest to this one that they’ve got.

found you through elbows too!

6. Tsuru
    January 9, 2008 at 11:19 PM

hi jenn! welcome! Thanks for the advise, I’ll check it out as soon as I can….

recovering from a stomach bug, hope to get more music love up soon!